Is mould a risk for your health?

Mould is one of the most common domestic issues house owners from all around the world have to deal with on a daily basis. Regardless the area where you live, you are also likely to face this problem if the humidity level in your home is above 50%. This is due to the fact that mould is a fungus that grows in moist places and produces microscopic spores, which can multiply extremely fast when they enter in contact with humidity. Although these are completely airborne (they live and travel in the air), they often land on various surfaces, ranging from walls and ceilings to food and other domestic objects. While it is basically impossible to prevent mould spores from existing indoors, there are some things you can do to prevent them from multiplying and becoming a serious issue. There are about 200,000 types of mould, of many textures and colours: black, grey, green and even yellow or pink. The fungus will find its way inside your home and will not leave until you identify it, remove its causes and its traces completely. You can either try to do this yourself or hire a specialized firm, such as indoormould.ca      .

How can mould affect humans?

Taking into consideration that the fungus reproduces through tiny particles that fly in the air, it can be easily inhaled by people who live in the spaces invaded. This is likely to cause serious health problems, especially for sensitive or allergic people. As a matter of fact, allergenic reactions are a clear indicator of mould, since these may appear faster than the dark stains appear on the walls. Although the initial symptoms may be similar to those of a common cold (running nose, sneezing, itchy eyes and irritated throat), you have to pay attention and find out the actual cause. In case you neglect this and you or one of your family members is quite sensitive, the allergy can evaluate and become a lung infection, in the worst case scenario. Besides this, mould spores can also lead to other respiratory issues, especially for those who already suffer from asthma. In case you are having inexplicable asthma attacks, the reason may be that mould is hidden somewhere around the house. As you may have already noticed, people with respiratory dysfunctions and weak immunity system are more likely to be affected may the existence of this fungus in the spaces where they live. In addition to this, those exposed to risk are children, elderly people, pregnant women, or patients whose immunity system is weakened (as a result of chemotherapy, organ transplant, HIV infection etc).

 

How can you eliminate the risk?

If you want to eliminate the risk, the best thing you could do is get rid of the thing that is causing it: mould. Look for signs, repair water damages and keep your house humidity level on a normal limit (under 50%), and hire a dedicated company as soon as you notice anything weird. These will offer you professional services so that your home becomes a safe environment immediately.